The Back yard of Luke & Levi's classroom
I was contacted a year ago about teaching piano and general music at a private school in Carrollton. At that time, I had never heard of Oak Grove Montessori School, and knew very little about the Montessori teaching method. The very first time I drove up to the campus, I was so impressed! The school grounds are filled with gardens and flowers of all kinds. The buildings were built with the needs of young children in mind. The teachers and staff are wonderful. I knew that this was a place I would enjoy teaching at. I am about to begin my second year of teaching at Oak Grove, but now Luke and Levi will be students there, too. From the very beginning I knew I wanted them to be part of the program. Derek and I visited one of the parent education nights last spring, and on the way home Derek said, "we have to find a way for the boys to go there". The Montessori method has a three year cycle for preschool children ages three to six. Now is the time for the boys to start this learning cycle. I have to admit, a part of me wants to say "they're too young; it seems like just yesterday they were newborns", but the rational part of me knows that this will be a great experience for Luke and Levi, especially after seeing the activity that goes on in the school first-hand. August 18th is the first day........Luke and Levi are excited and ready, but I'm not so sure about me!
No comments:
Post a Comment